Inspired by the Archibald Prize, the Upwey Archies is an annual community portrait event organised by Upwey Community Group, in partnership with Burrinja Cultural Centre. A sensational opportunity for artists and aspiring artists in the local community to create an original artwork celebrating a person special to them, or to the Hills. Their works will be publicly displayed on the walls and windows in the Upwey, Main Street shops.
How to Enter the 2022 Upwey Archies
This exhibition is open to all. There is a registration fee of $12, or $8 for 14yrs & under, which includes a 20” x 16” (500 x 400mm) canvas board for the artwork to be created on.
To register, click here to be taken to the Upwey Archies registration page on the Burrinja website. Once you have registered, collect your canvas from Burrinja, Cnr Glenfern Road and Matson Drive, Upwey VIC 3158 between August 10th - 20th. For further information, contact Toni Main at Burrinja by phone 03 9754 8723 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Once you have registered and collected your canvas -
1. Create a portrait of a person that is important to you on the canvas provided.
2. Complete your Artwork Description online by following the link in your ‘confirmation of registration’ email.
3. Complete the information on the back of your canvas.
4. Return your Archies entry (we will not accept wet or damp artwork) to Upwey Township Hall (opposite skate park) during one of the following times
• 4.30 – 6.00pm 6th October
• 4.30 – 6.00pm 7th October
• 10.30 – 12.00noon 8th October
5. Invite your friends and family to Upwey to see your artwork on display in the Main Street of Upwey from October 13th to November 10th.
6. Attend the award presentation ceremony, 7pm Friday November 11th at the Upwey Township Hall.
7. Collect your artwork from Burrinja between November 16th – 26th. No responsibility will be taken for works not collected by this date.
Conditions of Entering the Upwey Archies
• The portrait must be created on the canvas provided.
• Artworks must be in 2D form such as painting, print-making, drawing, collage etc.
• Completed artworks must be returned to the Upwey Township Hall during the return period. Late works will not be included.
• Ensure the work is dry before returning it, we will not accept wet or damp artwork.
• The application fee of $12 (or $8 for 14yrs & under) is not refundable.
• The exhibition coordinators and participating traders will take every care in handling the artwork but are in no way responsible for damage, theft or loss.
• Artists agree to the right for Upwey Community Group and Burrinja to reproduce any artwork submitted in any way.
• It is up to the exhibition organisers to decide on which wall/window each work will be displayed.
• Exhibition organisers reserve the right to not display a work.
• A limit of 10 submissions per group or organisation (including schools).
• Artworks will be judged on artistic merit and community spirit (heart award).